잡채(雜菜: Korean Glass Noodle with vegetables)
Jap-chae, or Korean glass noodles, is a very flavorful and nutritious dish that can be served as a main meal, snack or appetizer. Traditionally, Jap-chae is served on holidays or special occasions. The glass noodles (“Dang-myeon”) used in this recipe are made from sweet potatoes.
Dried glass noodle(1 lbs), carrot(2), onion(big 1 or small 2), fish cake(or beef or pork), pepper(red 1, green 2), soy sauce(1/2c), sugar(1/2c), garlic(2tea spoon), oil(1/3c), sesame oil(1tsp), sesame(1tsp)
(you can add mushrooms or spinach if you want)
*How to cook(very simplified recipe)
- Prepare the noodle: Soak the dried glass noodle in the water for more than 2 hours before cooking
- Prepare the vegetables: Slice (julienne) all the vegetables at similar sizes and shapes.(5cm x 3mm)
- Coat a frying pan with 1 tsp of vegetable oil. Sauté(fry quickly) carrot, peppers, fish cake and onion with a pinch of salt on high heat for 3 min or until the carrots are fully cooked. You can add more oil if the vegetables start sticking to the pan.
- Coat a big saucepan with 3 tsp of vegetable oil, and add 2 teaspoon of garlic, 1/2cup of soy sauce, ½ cup of sugar. Mix them at a low heat.
- Cut the moist glass noodle into a good length and drain them. Put the noodle into the saucepan and add water until 2/3 of the noodle is soaked. Cook on medium heat, stir and mix the noodle and the sauce regularly so that the noodle absorb the sauce and it doesn’t stick to the bottom. Remove the heat(turn off the heat) when the noodle is soft enough, and only a little amount of water is left on the bottom.
- stir the sautéd vegetables into the cooked noodle. Add salt, soy sauce, sugar or sesame oil as you like.