These crunchy Korean pickles are very easy to make! They are sweet and sour, and less salty than American pickles.
Boil water with pickling ingredients for three minutes, and plunge all the cucumber slices! That’s all!
They go very well with Korean meals, Italian meals like pizza or pasta, and American meals.
Sometimes, I’m tired of spicy kimchi… and crave something fresh and simple. These cucumber pickles are excellent side dishes for lazy Koreans like me.
Ingredients: 6 cucumbers (Korean cucumbers, English cucumbers or seedless cucumbers 1300g), 1 cup soy sauce, 2cups vinegar, 2 cups water, 1 cup sugar, 1 chili pepper, 20 whole black peppercorns
- Wash cucumbers and remove the bumpy parts of the peel
- Slice the cucumber 5~6mm thick. The slices should not be too thin
- In a big saucepan, add in water(2c), vinegar(2c), soy sauce(1c), sugar(1c), and stir them well
- Add in a chili pepper and 20 whole black peppercorns, and bring it to a boil
- After water reaches a rolling boil, cook for 3 more minutes and remove the heat
- Plunge all the cucumber slices, and soak them in water
- Cover the pot, and wait for 1 hour.
- Transfer them into airtight containers and refrigerate. You can eat them next day
- Sprinkle dried parsley or cilantro to taste! (optional)