Koreans usually make Dak-Juk with a whole chicken, but I made it with chicken breast.
I love the clean taste of chicken breast, and keep trying to lose weight!
We also use lot’s of garlic cloves to add nutrition and flavor to chicken rice porridge.
Making rice porridge is not for beginners, but you can eat it for a few days refrigerating it when you make this.
I reduced cooking time using Microwave to soak rice instead of soaking it for 30~60 minutes in the room temperature.
Chicken breast (0.5 lb/250g), short grain rice (1cup), onion(1.5oz/40g), carrot(2oz/60g), garlic(1oz/30g), green onion(1.5oz/45g), mushrooms(2oz/60g), chicken(anchovy) broth (2cups), white wine(1/2cup), salt(1~2T), whole black pepper (1t)
- Rinse rice three times and drain. Soak rice in the water
- Place green onion, chicken breast, black pepper in a saucepan, and add 3cups of water.
- Bring the pot to a boil over high heat, add 1/2cup of white wine. (Remove the white bubbles)
- Slice and chop the onion
- Chop the carrot(Slice->Julienne->chop)
- Slice mushroom, and chop them up
- Heat the soaked rice in Microwave for 5minutes. In this way, you can reduce the whole cooking time
- After boiling for 15 minutes over medium high heat, turn off the heat and remove chicken from water and cool it down. Keep the broth. We will use it later
- Heat the saucepan over low heat, and add 2T of sesame oil
- Add in chopped carrot and onion. Stir them with a heatproof spatula
- When the onions turn translucent, add in the chopped mushrooms, and stir together
- Add in rice(after draining), and stir them together
- Pour the chicken breast broth, 2 cups of chicken(or anchovy) broth
- Stir together rice and vegetables over medium heat for 10 minutes. Keep scratching the bottom with spatula to prevent rice from sticking to the bottom
- Shred the chicken into thin pieces.
- Add them to the porridge, add in garlic cloves and stir to combine
- Season with salt. Lower the heat and cook another 15~20 minutes
If you like soupy porridge you can add in 1~2 cups of water
- When the rice got very soft and the soup is thick enough, remove heat and serve it. Add salt to taste. You can also add roasted seaweed and sesame.