Cabbage is a very healthful vegetable, and good for your diet. When you have a digestion problem, just eating raw cabbage is helpful.
Cabbage is cheaper, and easier to make kimchi. We can make so many things with a cabbage!
I have a weak stomach, and do not like spicy food. So I love making “less spicy” cabbage kimchi. It also tastes fantastic when it’s fermented.
1 Cabbage(5lbs/2kg), salt 1cup+2T, apple 1(9oz/250g ), red chilies(1.5oz/40g )garlic (3T), green onion (2oz/55g ), fish sauce (1/3cup), anchovy broth(or water 1cup), corn starch (1T)
- Cut the cabbage into halves (This cabbage is so fresh and firm! This way is better, because the top leaves are thin and soft)
- Cut the haves into halves again and remove the cores
- Cut the leaves into small bites
- Pour 1 cup of water to the cabbage pieces in a large basin and mix them well.(Water will help salt stick to the leaves better for osmosis
- Sprinkle 1 cup of salt on the leaves and mix well. (Please treat them tender!)
- Let the salted leaves sit in the room temperature for 2 and half hours
- After 1.5 hours, turn the leaves upside down
- Combine 1T of corn starch and 1 cup of water
- Heat the starch mixture in Microwave for 1 and half minutes at medium power level.
- Take the starch mixture out of Microwave, and mix it well with a spoon. Heat it once more in Microwave for another 1 and half minutes, and mix well
(All kinds of Starch porridge helps fermentation and add tastes)
- Cut the green onions into 1.5 inch long
- Cut red chilies half inch thick. Fresh red chilies are more flavorful than red pepper powder.
- Cut an apple into quarters, and remove the seeds
- Peel the apple and cut into small pieces
- Put the garlics and red chili pieces in a blender, and add fish sauce(1/3cup). Blend them.
- Add in 1/3 of apple pieces and blend them together. Add another 1/3 apple pieces and blend. Add the last 1/3 and blend them.
- Rinse the leaves three times in cold water and drain
- In a large mixing bowl, pour 1 cup of anchovy broth(or water) and the apple garlic mixture.(If you have no anchovy broth, just water is okay)
- Add in the starch porridge and mix them well
- Place one layer of cabbage leaves in a container, add some green onion, and pour some seasoning mixture. Repeat this process until all the leaves and seasoning mixture are gone.
- Pour 2 cups of water in the large mixing bowl, and mix with the remaining seasoning. Add the water to the container.
- Press cabbage kimchi to soak them well in the seasoning water
- Snap down the lid and leave the container in the room temperature for 24 hours
- 24 hours later, the cabbage kimchi has the smell of fermentation. Refrigerate it!